Monday, October 13, 2014

Miette Cardigan

This pretty much sums up how I feel about this cardigan:


It deserves that side-eye, trust me. This is the Miette Cardigan by Andi Satterlund, and lots of other bloggers have made beautiful versions, so it's definitely not the pattern. It's just that, for some reason, this project was doomed from the start for me. I stupidly persevered, because I am too stubborn for my own good sometimes. I should have given up when I realized I needed a third major frogging, or when I paid a $700 emergency vet bill after my cat got into my project bag and ate a bunch of the yarn. I should have given up after I named the UFO one of my "Misses of 2013", and I even should given up last week when all I could find were crappy 5 for $1 plastic buttons to match.

Did I mention I'm stubborn? You're probably thinking, Emily, that doesn't look that bad. It has sleeves and a button placket and you're not in any immediate danger of a wardrobe malfunction. That's because you haven't seen the um, "dolman sleeves" I added as a "design feature".



On my first go at this pattern, I worried I had made it way too small and it wouldn't fit in the shoulders. I started over in a larger size, and I also added several rows before I joined in the round for the sleeves. Somehow, despite trying it on along the way, I ended up with 2 1/2 inches of excess fabric under my arms. It also doesn't help that I lost some weight over the (many) months I worked on this, so it doesn't have the negative ease the pattern intended.




So, what do you guys think? Dolman sleeves are in, so can I get away with pretending it's intentional or should I just put it into the donation pile and move on? I'm honestly kind of tempted to throw it into the dryer and just see what happens. You know, for SCIENCE.

No comments:

Post a Comment